Saturday, April 28, 2007

Jewel’s Thoughts: If I Could Walk UP a Rainbow and Talk To God

If I could walk up a rainbow and talk to God, what would I want to say? My first thought, was to ask God where could I find my loved ones and to get permission to see them now? On the other hand, to ask the question my grandchildren have asked me about whether their baby brother is growing up in heaven just as they are on earth. They need the answer because they want to know how to look for him when they get to heaven. Then again, do I really want an answer? Will I like God’s answer?

I quickly began sorting my questions in my head to determine what my most important questions are.

Do I want to ask God questions I have had since childhood?
Like how big are you, God? As a child, I remember my mother singing the reassuring song, “He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands” and thinking God must have huge hands if He is holding the whole world. Then immediately thinking that the Bible teaches God has Heaven as His throne and the earth as His footstool (Acts 7:79), so how big are his feet?

I also had questions such as when my mom bought me a new pair of shoes. I wanted to ask God if I really had to wear these ugly shoes. Or the time when my mom said God knows everything, I wanted to ask, so how well do you really know me God? Why can’t people just be nice? What do you actually see from Heaven God?

I quickly thought of my more current questions associated with my struggle over why things happen the way they do. I have questions such as, why am I left on this planet, now that my heart is broken into pieces. How do I put the pieces of my heart back together and go on from here? The Holy Bible teaches about eternal life (John 3:16), so what kinds of things does God have planned for people to do for all eternity? Why is there so much pain and suffering in the world? How can God bear the pain of humankind’s destructive choices? Again, the Holy Bible teaches that God has given man free will to choose between life and death (De. 30:19). How can people continue to show love toward those who are making destructive choices?

Are my questions wasting God’s time? After all, He is really busy. Do I dare to ask him any questions? Do I really want an answer?

While contemplating my questions, I looked at the crewel-embroidered handwork I have framed on my wall that reads, “Life is Fragile, Handle with Prayer.” Prayer is my way of walking up a rainbow to talk with God. I may not completely understand the workings of the universe or what the future will bring, no matter, I know prayer gives me strength and courage to enjoy today, all that has been granted to me. So I don’t think I would ask God a question if I could walk up a rainbow. I think I would offer a prayer to God to encompass us all with His love during our journey of grief.

1 comment:

Jewel Sample said...

J.Rose asked me to post her email comments.
"I found it interesting when one asked if their baby brother would be growing up in heaven like here on earth.. I have wondered about this for the last 2 years especially. 2 years ago I lost a baby grand-daughter and then 16 months later we lost her baby brother.. I don't think there is a greater loss than to lose a child.. There is a scripture in Gods word that says in heaven a day is as a thousand years and a thousand years is as a day.... In other words, one thousand years here on earth is like only 1 day in heaven.. As I think on these words from our Lord I believe our babies will still be babies or those words in the Bible wouldn't make any sence at all.. Because of this scripture, I believe babies are still babies once we get to see them forever more.. We all have questions due to things that happen around us and to us, this is true, but I believe once we reach the presence of our Lord, we will instantly and automatically have all the answers to our unanswered questions.. We won't even have to ask, we will just know.. Praise His name....\o/"
Thanks J. Rose for stopping by and reading a spell! Ya come on back now! Blessings, Jewel