Thursday, July 31, 2008

Kellee Stone Shares What Inspired Her to Write "No Time for Tears: A walk through life with Ann Deane Teal"


Just imagine enjoying life in the most fun and amazing way with not a worry in the world, then out of no where the unthinkable happens. What is running through your mind as the unthinkable event for you? For Kellee Stone it was a tragedy that challenged her faith and trust in those dear to her. If tragedy struck your life, would you feel you had no time for tears?

Kellee Stone’s main character, Ann Deane, in No Time for Tears: A walk through life with Ann Deane Teal, walked through her devastation feeling this way from time to time. Then a miracle happened. Will it be a man of her dreams, a new career, or the explanation of her infant daughter’s death? Grab a copy of Stone’s new Christian novel to discover her miracle of a life time.

Kellee Stone stopped by the other day to chat about her writing adventures. And this is what she had to say.


Hi Kellee! Thank you so much for stopping by Around the Sand Box News blog spot to share a little about your writing life with us today. To get things going, please tell us how you got started in writing?

I wrote for the church newsletter for years, the newsletter at work, I was editor for a local magazine, I wrote sales and motivational material at work, and many other things. Writing always came easy to me.

Do you juggle your writing with a job or other interests?

I am retired from a large telephone company, but I work with counseling at church. I work with support groups for spousal abuse, people who have lost babies by violent means or by SIDS, terminally ill people and their families, and widows and widowers groups. Also, I am the caretaker in my family and have taken care of my mother, stepfather, uncle, and my husband all dying of cancer in the past twelve years. Also, I have a home in South Carolina and in Virginia and travel quite extensively between these two locations. This keeps me quite busy. It is hard to find time to write.

Indeed it is hard at times to find time to write. How long did it take you to complete your book?

About 6 months, but then I waited nine years to publish the book.

Nine years seems like a long time to work on a story. I am not sure I would have the perseverance to work on something for that long, then again if I am inspired to write about something, I would have to write it. What inspires you, Kellee?

I feel that God wants me to use my life experiences to help other people through tragedies such as death and severe illness. I feel that he sends people to me every day to help them on with their lives in a happy and productive way. I believe that I should use my life lessons to help them in any way I can; sometimes that way is simply by talking. Sometimes it is my writing. I continue to be inspired to write from the emails and messages I receive telling me how inspirational my book was to them.

I love getting emails from my readers. Tell us what advice do you have for new writers today?

Write about what you know!

Where do your writing ideas come from?

My ideas were all inspired from experiences in my life.

What do you do when you are not writing?

I work at my church, participate in community activities, travel, watch Braves baseball, work on crossword puzzles, and family activities. My daughter lives in Atlanta and I visit there quite often.

Maintaining family relationships are so important. Do you have some grandparent advice on helping children through grief?

I have worked with a few children, but I mostly work with parents who have lost babies. I also work with terminally ill patients who know they don’t have long to live. I believe the most important point is to have faith in God. (I personally turn to the Lord in prayer whenever tragedy strikes.) Then, I discuss death with them. I tell them that everyone has to die. No one gets out of this world alive. This is God’s plan in the Bible. When my two babies died, it took me a long time to come to terms with it. I did not think I could live through it. I finally had to trust that this was supposed to happen and that there was nothing I could ever do to bring my babies back again and that I had to get on with my life. The same is true with anyone that dies.

Yes indeed, we must trust God and move forward through our grief in order to give ourselves a chance to find joy with those who are in our lives now. Do you have another book in your future plans?

I am presently working on a sequel to “No Time for Tears” and I have an idea for another book after that.

Wonderful! I look forward to reading the sequel. Do you have a favorite place to write?

Yes, my sun porch is my haven. I live on a lake and my sun porch looks out at the lake and my pier. The yard is filled with azaleas and camellias and many trees. I see geese, ducks, squirrels, rabbits, and have a large birdfeeder just outside the window. My two cats, Cooper and Elmo, are always in the office with me and love to sleep on the table next to my desk while I am working.

Wow, that sounds like a wonderful place to generate creative writing ideas. It has been wonderful talking with you Kellee. Before we say good-by do you have a humorous story about your writing or perhaps a most embarrassing moment you care to share with readers?

This book was never supposed to be read by anyone but me. It was strictly my journal. My doctors urged me for many years to write about all the things that had occurred in my life. I wrote this when I was alone after I retired. My daughter was away at the University of South Carolina and my husband had not retired. I had had two brain surgeries and was under many constraints. At this point I could not drive, do house or yard work, or cook. I could not lean over to the floor without falling because of vertigo. I had plenty of time on my hands for writing. My daughter came home from school one weekend and found the manuscript on the bookshelf. She took it in her bedroom and read the entire book that night. The rest is history since she told the world about my journal!

It amazes me how God uses others when we least expect it to share His love and to encourage us in our faith. Keep writing Kellee. Again thank you so much for stopping by for a chat. Come back and visit us anytime!

For more information about Kellee Stone please visit: http://www.kelleestone.com.

Interview by Jewel Sample, award-winning author of Flying Hugs and Kisses (2006), also translated: Besos y abrazos al aire (2006, Spanish edition) and Flying Hugs and Kisses Activity Book (2007)

4 comments:

Donna McDine ~ Children's Author said...

Fascinating interview. The book is now a must have on your reading list.

Warmly,
Donna McDine

www.donna-mcdine.blogspot.com

Kellee Stone said...

Thank you Donna. I appreciate your comments. I am presently working on a sequel to bring readers up to date.
Blessings,
Kellee Stone

Carolyn Howard-Johnson said...

What a lovely interview. Nice to meet you Kellee.
Best,
Carolyn Howard-Johnson
www.howtodoitfrugally.com

Kellee Stone said...

I'm happy to meet you also Carolyn. Thank you for the nice comment for Jewel's interview. She is a 'Jewel' to work with.
Blessings,
Kellee Stone